Samara Carroll is an allergy sufferer who has made her profession into helping families and kids dealing with food allergies. In today’s episode I talk to Samara all about growing up with food allergies and how she helps others battle and overcome their allergy anxieties.
What You’ll Learn:
- Diagnosed with peanut and tree nut allergy as a child
- At 18 years old she grew out of her tree nut allergy but discovered through allergy tests that she was now allergic to shellfish
- I ask Samara to tell me about the food challenges she had to go through
- She tells me about how she adapted to the change, especially the psychological aspect of “getting used to a new normal”
- Samara talks me through how she conquered her allergy anxiety
- Samara tells me about how her parents taught her about her allergies and that she can navigate life with allergies
- We talk about practising looking after allergies and once you’ve practised in one situation, the second time is much easier and it builds up your confidence
- We talk about Samara’s travelling experiences around Israel and parts of Europe in her early 20s
- She tells me how she prepared for her travelling such as allergy cards translated into the languages of the countries she visited
- During her university life she did an exchange where she was living in a new country at the new university with new roommates
- Samara tells me how she educated her new roommates and friends about her allergies
- We talked about being a student how to navigated restaurants, eating out and the student budget as well as allergy friendly alternatives
- Samara and I chat about relationships and telling your other half about your allergies
- We talk about the practical sides of making relationships work and navigating allergies, but that its not difficult just a part of learning to be in a relationship
- I ask Samara about her professional life as an allergy counsellor
- She tells me she works with kids and families to help them with food allergy anxiety
- Samara talks me through a typical session and the exercises she teaches to help reduce their anxiety and increase confidence
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
One of our little goals we would love to achieve for is to get into the iTunes “New & Noteworthy” Section, it means we get free front page advertising on iTunes, how great for allergy awareness! But we can’t do it without you. Please subscribe, rate and review on iTunes so that the people at Apple will take notice of our podcast
And lastly, if you have any questions, thoughts, or guests you want to see on the show, please contact me via the contact page.
This weeks sponsor is Vicki Montague from the Free From Fairy Blog. Vicki has developed a gluten free and rice free wholegrain flour blend. It is as delicious as it is versatile to use in breads, cakes, biscuits and pastry!