Kortney Kwang Hing
Today I talk with fellow grown up allergy kid and blogger Kortney of Allergy Girl Eats. Kortney has multiple severe allergies and Oral Allergy Syndrome. We chat all about what it’s like being an allergy kid and navigating school, teenage crushes, university, dating and anaphylactic reactions. This episode is packed full of great stories and advice! Definitely not one to miss!
What You’ll Learn:
- Kortney is another grownup allergy kid
- Kortney tells me how her parents discovered her allergies
- She has multiple severe allergies to tree nuts, peanuts, sesame, soya…
- We talk about Kortney’s experience growing up with allergies and the importance of taking ownership
- We talk about the importance of having friends who you trust and take your food allergies seriously
- Having friends who advocate for you is really important
- She tells me how her friends would make sure she was safe
- we talk about being teenagers and telling your boyfriend/girlfriend about your allergies
- Kortney tells me her anaphylaxis story on her first date with her husband
- We talk about how Kortney re-evaluated how she managed her allergies
- Kortney developed Oral Allergy Syndrome when she was a teenager
- We also talk about how to travel allergy safe and allergy smart
- The importance of always bringing safe snacks with you
- Kortney tells me about how she chooses restaurants
- She talks me through how she tells the restaurants about her allergies
- We chat about allergy life at university
Kortney gives her top tips for new allergy parents and teens!
- Don’t show your fear
- Give your kids a voice early on
Allergy Travels is a new website to help allergy sufferers travel the globe! and it’s launching soon!
My Skillshare Courses
As mentioned at the end of the episode, along with writing some recipe books (“Gluten Free and Vegan Chocolate Treats” & “30 Days, 30 Dinners”) I have started teaching allergy safe baking and cooking! To find out what you like to learn about, I’ve started putting them up on Skillshare.
I’d love for you to take a look, so I have created some FREE enrolment links. Simply click on the titles below and it will take you straight to the class. You will NOT need to pay anything or sign up with a card. You will be able to watch the tutorial straight away 🙂
P.S. I’d love to know what you thought. Leave me a review on Skillshare or a note in the comment section below of this post.
FREE Enrolment Links:
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
One of our little goals we would love to achieve for is to get into the iTunes “New & Noteworthy” Section, it means we get free front page advertising on iTunes, how great for allergy awareness! But we can’t do it without you. Please subscribe, rate and review on iTunes so that the people at Apple will take notice of our podcast
And lastly, if you have any questions, thoughts, or guests you want to see on the show, please contact me via the contact page.
Chocolate Recipe Book: want the first chapter free??
For those of you who have been following my blog and podcast for a little while you’ll know I’m writing a Gluten Free, Nut Free, Dairy & Egg Free Chocolate Recipe Book. It is the ultimate guide to working with dairy free chocolate with an amazing array of cakes, cupcakes, cookies, biscuits, sweet morsels and other delights.
I am hoping to have this e-book published at the end April. But don’t worry, if you can’t wait until then you can get your hands on the first chapter including 2 recipes. (There are also 2 bonus recipes you get sent later….)
To get your free copy and get the latest info on my recipe book launch, sign up with your email address below.