For the days you really need something a little bit sweet and a whole lot chocolatey!
The last few weeks my brain has been going about a million miles an hour. Actually, I lie, for the last few months my brain has been going a million miles an hour. My “to do” list is like a yo-yo, up and down, up and down. I actually now call it the “Things I need to get out of my head” list. These are the things that are annoying me but also keep me up at night because I am planning/brainstorming/stressing. Needless to say it is completely unproductive because it takes me hours to sleep, and then I still get up at the same time, still have the same amount to do the next day, but have less sleep to do it on….Not great, but you have to soldier on.
Usually when I’m feeling tired and my brain is zooming, I have cravings for lots of chocolate. Luckily for me I’m writing a chocolate recipe book (if you listen to the podcast you will have been hearing my updates each week), queue lots of chocolate in the house. However this evening, all the samples were finished but I was really wanting some chocolate.
One thing that has been on my brain recently, but haven’t had time to do, is blog a recipe using Vicki Montegue’s fantastic Free From Fairy gluten free and rice free flour. So I thought, well seeing as I’m procrastinating, craving something something sweet, I might as well procrasti-bake…..(see what I did there….?!) In keeping with my chocolate theme/cravings and because I love biscuits and cookies, I decided to throw together some chocolate chip cookies! Obviously with my nut allergy and gluten intolerance these cookies are gluten and nut free. But there are also dairy free and soya free too! Wahey!
These cookies are super simple! Its a pretty much throw it all in a bowl and mix, roll into balls, flatten a little, pop on a lined baking tray and into the oven for less than 10 minutes and hey presto allergy friendly chocolate cookies!
So before I go a bit do-lally from all the cookies I’ve just consumed (and the tiredness), here’s my recipe for Gluten, Dairy and Nut Free Chocolate Chip Cookies featuring Free From Fairy Flour.
Gluten, Nut & Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (Feat. Free From Fairy Flour & Plamil Chocolate)
- 1 egg
- 40g honey
- 20g demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g Free From Fairy Self Rasing Gluten Free Flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 50g Plamil Chocolate Drops (because they taste great and are nut and dairy free!! YAY!)
- Line a cookie tray with baking paper and preheat your oven to 200C fan.
- In a bowl whisk the egg, honey, oil, and vanilla extract. (A fork is enough – I’m quite a lazy baker, especially this evening.)
- Then add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Now fold in the chocolate drops.
- Take a small ball of dough in your hands and then flatten slightly. Put onto the baking tray. Do this until you have 10-12 little cookies ready to be baked.
- Pop into your preheated oven for 5-8 minutes. (I baked mine for about 5 minutes and they were more like cakey cookies. But if you flatten them more they should be more crispy.)
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Or don’t and dig in straight away (like I did…:p)
P.S. They got chief taste tester (a.k.a chocoholic boyfriend) approval. But he did laugh when I said I’d already eaten half the batch before he got home….I do not regret a thing. Thanks Vicki for the FAB flour!