A perfect cake for summer, spring autumn or winter! This apple cake can hit the spot.
Use up all the autumn apples, warm yourself in with this warming and so more-ish apple cake! Enjoy with a cup of tea, or serve with a dollop of dairy free ice cream for dessert. This cake always goes down a treat.
The best bit about this cake is that it is not only super delicious, it is super easy AND free from gluten, wheat, nuts, peanuts, dairy and soya!
Check out our “how to” video below >>
Gluten Free and Dairy Free Apple Cake
- 450g chopped fresh apple
- 15g dark muscavodo sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 4 medium free range eggs
- 100g brown sugar
- 125ml light olive oil
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 150g coconut flour
- 300g plain gluten free flour (or my mix is: 150g tapioca flour + 50g ground rice + 100g rice flour)
- 100g grated apple
- 100g grated carrot
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 150g small stewed apple chunks
- 75g gluten free oats
- Preheat your oven to 150C fan. Grease and line a round 8” loose bottomed cake tin.
- In a mixing bowl add the 450g fresh apple, 15g sugar, all the ground spices and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and sugar until frothy.
- Mix your gluten free flours and baking powder together, then a spoonful or two at a time whisk the flour into your eggy mix until all the flour has been used up.
- Next add in your grated carrot and apple and mix together. Whisk in the vinegar and water until evenly incorporated.
- Now stir in the stewed apple and gluten free oats until evenly mixed.
- Now to put the cake together: Spread half the cake batter on the bottom of the cake tin. Use your hand to pat it down so that it is nice and flat. Then add half your spiced chopped apples. Use the rest of the batter to cover the apples. Pile the top the cake with the remainder of the spiced apples.
- Put the cake in the oven on a middle shelf and bake for 45 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean when poke into the middle of the cake.
- Leave to cool in its tin on a cooling rack. When it’s warm to touch gently lift out of its tin.
- Serve with dairy free ice cream or dairy free pouring cream.